Monday, February 13, 2012

Jenn Grinels hosts Open Mic Night

By Brendan Dugan

Singer/songwriter Jenn Grinels, described by the San Diego Reader as “the real, talented epitome of today’s best indie music,” brought her raw, honest style, spirited and engaging performance, and – interestingly – a selection of aromatic soaps and teas to Marian University. She performed Friday February 10, at the Knights after Dark Coffee House at 9pm in the Library.

Grinels combines the raw drive of blues with soulful elements and twists of folk into her repetoire of songs laden with emotion.

A winner of the 2007 Honoring Acoustic Talent Awards for Best Performer as well as Best Vocalist, and voted best artist in the college circuit for the past two years she’s been performing, Grinels’ musical forte has taken her across the country and won her spots on bills with acts such as Christopher Cross, Berlin, and the Abbott Brothers.

“brokenHEARTbreaker,” her sophomore album released in 2011, features ten tracks that carry the listener through the emotional ups and downs of a breakup. Grinels particularly enjoys the resolute final track, “Love Again,” the conceptual denouement of the album.

“The reason why I like ‘Love Again’ is that there’s this optimistic feeling that leaves you with the idea that no matter how hard breakups are, you will come out of it and find someone new.”

Grinels shared how fans would approach her after performances to tell her how much they related to her music.

“Writing is always a cathartic experience,” Grinels said, and her listeners would agree. “That’s the best thing in the whole world – when you write about something specific you’ve gone through, and then somebody says ‘I feel like you’re writing about my life.’”

Since age six, Grinels developed her vocal prowess, participating in musicals, church and school choirs. While enrolled at University of Cal¬ifornia – Irvine, she studied musical theater and began a career in acting after achieving her degree. All the while, however, her growing passion for music urged her to take up the guitar and tour.

“When I was in college, I definitely wanted to be Broadway-bound...but I found that I was more passionate about my music.” said Grinels.

What began as a six-month tour to parallel her boyfriend’s tour with the Marines exploded into a four-year, three-month, nationwide trek that continues today.

“I didn’t want to just sit around [with him gone], so I thought I’ll plan a tour of my own music, and things just evloved in a way that led me to stay on the road,” said Grinels. “The last time I had an apart¬ment was four years ago.”

“I never rule out the Debrah Gibson plan,” she explained, saying that she will continue to pursue her musical career until its end, then resort to theater or musicals, as Debrah Gibson did.

Jason Mraz, whom Grinels has met, is a significant inspiration on her music.

“He just really, really inspired me. I thought, that person is doing ex¬actly what they’re meant to be doing, and it inspires you to find what you’re meant to be doing,” she said.

While most bands or singer/songwriters carry an inventory of shirts, hoodies, stickers or posters to shows, Grinels brings with her soap and tea.

“Before ever having posters or tee shirts, I had soap and tea,” Grinels laughed. Turtle River Soap Company and Mad Pots of Tea, approached Grinels as fans and business people willing to support her musical career. When Madam Pots saw Grinels perform live for the first time, she developed an idea for a second line of tea based on the live show:

“She named her second tea ‘Red, Hot, and Sassy,’” said Grinels. Madam Pots has since purveyed a new tea, “Black and Blue,” which is named for the Broken Heart Breaker album. The teas possess natural properties that help maintain throat health Recently, Grinels has decided to get an apartment in New York, while continuing to tour and perform.
“I’ll be paying rent, but I’ll only be in the apartment four days in March,” she said. “I just wanted a place to have my own bedsheets.”

Both of Grinels’ albums, “Little Words” and “Broken Heart Breaker,” as well as shirts and Mad Pots of Tea and Turtle River Soap Company products can be purchased online at jenngrinels.com/blog/store. Check her out Facebook or Myspace as well.