Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Knight Times learns more about Marian's new athletic director


By Bradley Levi

Students, faculty, and staff helped select the new athletic director Steve Downing this summer. Among additional interviews with administration, the six candidates attended open forums every day from August 8 to 12.

The community was also invited to evaluate each candidate based on institutional fit; athletic administration experience; and the abilities of fundraising and marketing, recruiting and retention, strategic planning, and management and supervision.

The Knight Times had the chance to ask Downing a few questions....

Question: Have you served as athletic director at a different school or university?
Answer: I was assistant athletic director at Indiana University and Senior Associate Athletic Director at Texas Tech.

Q: What were you looking for in a school when you were applying for this job?
A: I was looking for a university where athletics are very important to the culture. I wanted to work at a university where coaches are committed to winning and graduating the student-athletics.

Q: Will you keep things the same at the athletic department at Marian?
A: My goal is to improve on the things that are already going great here at Marian University.

Q: Would you like to see any change in the athletic department at Marian?
A: In my short time here, I am still learning about all that is important to Marian University. I will know and learn more as I continue to talk with coaches, athletics, students, staff, families and community leaders.

Q: What is your overall experience so far at Marian?
A: Marian University is a wonderful place. MU is a university on the move, and I am so happy to be part of it.

Q: From which college did you graduate?
A: I received both my degrees from Indiana University: a bachelor’s in HYPER and master’s in Guidance and Counseling.

Q: What are your favorite sports teams?
A: I am a sport’s fan, and I like all college sports.

Q: Did you play any sports?
A: I played basketball in college and professionally for the Boston Celtics.

Q: Fun fact?
A: Between my 9th and 10th grades, I grew 6 inches.